I was doing some casual research on OpenOffice and I noticed something peculiar. Perhaps it’s just me, but the old icons look cleaner and less clunky.
OpenOffice.org (OOo) was developed by Sun Microsystems, then by Oracle when Oracle acquired Sun. Most of the OOo developers left Oracle to work on a fork called LibreOffice, and because of that, Oracle fired the remaining OOo developers in April 2011. The code was donated to Apache and became Apache OpenOffice, the current iteration of OpenOffice.
|Program||OpenOffice.org 3.0||Apache OpenOffice 4.0|
I guess this is yet another reason why almost all Linux distributions have switched to LibreOffice.
- OpenOffice.org [Wikipedia]
- Apache OpenOffice [Wikipedia]
- OpenOffice icon gallery [Wikipedia:it]
- OpenOffice.org 2 icons
- OpenOffice.org 2 icons (high quality)
- OpenOffice.org 3.0 icons (high quality)